Erik picks Maggie up at daycare today and can hear her screaming from down the hall. He enters the crime scene and sees a very guilty looking Alexander with Maggie next to him crying staring at her hand. Yes, Alexander, the kid who I can't stand because every morning when I drop Maggie off he is screaming his head off until someone picks him up and Maggie stares at like "you are such a baby", has bitten my little girl. She has the marks to prove it. An incident report is pending... I expect a full chalk outline and yellow tape when I get there in the morning.
I know there will be many bumps and bruises along the way, but when it's because of another evil child my full defense mechanism comes into play and I want to call Alexander's mother, pretend I'm the daycare director and tell her Alexander is no longer welcome there. A little passive-aggressive huh? Now, the call would go differently if I had a few mojitos in me (if you read Erik's blog the other day you would get this). Anyway, Maggie is fine and will probably kick Alexander's ass tomorrow. She's a tough cookie.
Maybe it was the stairs incident she and I had the other day that toughened her up. For some reason I decide to wear my highest heels to work AND put them on upstairs which would require me to walk down two flights of stairs with Maggie in my arms. Not my brightest moment. My heel gets caught on the 5th step from the bottom and before I know it she and I are on a magic carpet ride to the bottom. Except somehow I am sliding down on my knees and not dropping her. We get to the bottom and I am shaking from the shock of it all, Maggie stays quiet for about 3 seconds, then starts laughing. Thank God she can't say "do again" yet is all I could think. I guess this is one of those unexplained phenomenons where a mother will do whatever she can to avoid hurting her child. If I had anything else in my arms it would have gone flying...except of course maybe a bowl of ice cream.
No more doom and gloom...I have been amazed over the past week how she is becoming more and more of a kid each day and am having so much fun with her. Yesterday as we were (safely) walking down the stairs I asked her "how big?" and forgot that she actually knows how to respond now so she has her arms spread wide smiling and when I didn't pay full attention she backs up as far as she can in my arms, stares at me with a big smile and opens them even bigger. SO BIG!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment