I interrupt this touchy-feely post for a real life moment:
We got our first sick call from daycare today...your daughter just threw up...a LOT...you need to come get her.
10 minutes later I show up at Maggie's classroom with just the teacher and her in the room, slumped listlessly in a beanbag chair (Maggie that is). The teacher said she knew something was wrong when Maggie didn't eat much that day. "Maggie always eats all of her food!" (That's my girl!).
30 minutes and 2 more "episodes" later we are home and assume the sick position:

This is exactly what I remember when I stayed home sick from school. Laying on the couch with the TV on, my favorite blanket keeping me warm...and that look on my face. Doesn't that just say it all?
Immediately I jump into mom mode - BRAT diet...slice the bananas, toast the bread...wet washcloth, trashcan next to the couch (like Maggie knows to turn her head and throw up into the trashcan) and towels in case of emergency. I feel like I'm playing house and that I should have high heels on 5 sizes too big with pearls hanging down to my ankles. I'm just playing Mom right? Is someone really relying on me to make it all better? Does someone really call me Mom?
I'm reminded of that when Maggie gets some life back and starts talking again. All she said all evening was Mom-my? Mom-my? Mom-my? It seems to be her catch phrase these days...her new thing is to say it until I respond and then she says DaDa? As if to say Mommy? Where's Daddy? And I swear she says it in a British accent. Mummy? Wherefore art Daddy?
Another new thing, which I love, is she holds up her sippy cup to your glass and says "cheers", then "aaahhhh" after she takes a sip. I can't imagine how she learned to do something so dramatic...
Anyway, let's get back to the real deal. It is Erik's birthday tomorrow and no one deserves a parade, fiesta, soiree, all out party more than he does. The highlight of my day is sitting in Maggie's playroom and watching the two of them chase each other around the house. I think it's the highlight of her day too and I hope it is his.
So, Erik, you give me a million presents everyday and I hope I come close to returning the favor. Happy Birthday Da Da...you truly deserve a #1 Dad mug!!
No comments:
Post a Comment