It's the night before the night before Christmas and I can't wait for tomorrow. I still think Maggie's a little young to get the whole Christmas thing but I'm hoping for a little excitement when she walks down the stairs in the morning to find her new Elmo kitchen (courtesy of Gramma and Pap). When I ask her if she wants Santa to bring her presents she clearly states "NO" with a look of concern on her face. Could this be because Gramma and I traumatized her with an attempt at a picture with Santa Claus? Although I'm not sure how can we blame kids for being scared to sit on a strange man's lap...it is an odd tradition.
We let Maggie open a gift that my boss gave her this past weekend. It was a step stool/chair with her name on it and I have never seen her react the way she did when she saw it. She gave me the biggest smile I have ever seen and gently sat on it, then stepped up and down on it for the rest of the night. If it is possible for a 19 month old to be appreciative, that was what that was. She was so happy for that one thing, it was so special to her.
As much as I know I will not follow through with this, I want to teach her the spirit of giving and how much you get is not nearly as important as how much you give. I don't want to spoil her with stuff. One of her new phrases these days is "mine, mine" at the same time holding whatever the item is close to her chest and turning away from you. It doesn't matter what it is (it was nail clippers tonight, yesterday it was hotdogs at the grocery store), it is HERS. I'm sure this is a defense mechanism learned at daycare where 10 kids all want the same toy, but I am not a big fan of the "mine". I'm sure it's a phase and she'll grow out of it so for now we'll just reinforce that everything is not hers, sharing is important, blah blah blah.
On the flip side, she turns sweeter and sweeter everyday. When I come home and ask her for a kiss, she immediately says "da da" and runs to him to give him a kiss, then gives me one. And vice versa if she gives Da da a kiss...she must give me equal kisses. She never wants anyone to be left out which I just love. And last weekend when we all made Christmas cookies together, she was the most low maintenance child you can imagine. Just sitting in her high chair singing "la La LA" over and over to entertain us.
So we will see which Maggie we get over the next few days - the one who runs around and gives kisses to everyone, or the one stealing everyone's stuff yelling "MINE!".
Merry Christmas to all and to all a good night.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment