If I were a real writer I would have been writing posts over the last weeks to help me process everything we have been through since Christmas. But I am not so here I am, 3 weeks later to summarize it all.
It all started with a late night at work and the call from Erik "Maggie has a lump on her throat and I'm taking her to urgent care". You never want that call. Text messages followed every 15 minutes giving me updates - they called a specialist, she may have to have a CT scan, not really sure what it is... They put her on antibiotics and sent them on their way. 2 days later, what should have been a quick follow up specialist appointment turned into "we have to admit her now and plan to be there 5 days". So many questions but no idea what they were.
So the next 5 days starts and it is all a blur right now - 1 week later. After all of the horrible things we experienced over those days there are 2 moments that will stick in my mind forever. The look in her eyes when she went through the CAT scan and the feeling of her limp body as the anesthesia took hold before her surgery. No one should ever have to see or feel either of those things and I would like to think I never will again.
So we are home and finally getting back to normal and in sort of a holding pattern until we find out what the real diagnosis is. We are pretty sure whatever it is is not serious, but could require follow up surgery in the next few weeks. At this point, I am just happy to have my happy, feisty, stubborn, funny little girl back - it has been way too long since I have seen the real Maggie. And just so this post isn't completely depressing, I will end with our 4:15 PM conversation tonight:
We are reading her book- "The First 100 Words" and she sees a picture of cheese
"Cheese?" as she walks to the fridge and tries opening the door
"You want cheese?"
"Cheese?"
"Maggie, we're eating dinner in 45 minutes, let's just have some milk"
"Cheese?"
"OK, 1 cheese slice" Let me mention though - she has never had an interest in cheese slices. But she inhales this slice.
"More? Cheese?" as she does her sign language motion for 'more' standing at the fridge
"really?"
"More? Cheese?"
"Ok, one more" and she inhales that one
"More? Cheese?"
"Maggie - do you just want dinner now?"
"OK" nodding her head "SIT DOWN" as she pull her high chair away from the table and starts to climb in
It's good to see she has her appetite back.
Oh and Maggie - just so you know, your dad watched the AFC Championship game, with the Steelers in it, by your bedside in the hospital room. If that doesn't tell you how loved you are, I don't know what does!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment