Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Technicially speaking...

Like many couples these days, Erik and I had trouble getting pregnant. As in 8 years of trouble.

I clearly remember the day in 1998 when we were driving down Wadsworth Blvd in Denver and we said to each other "let's try to get pregnant" and we both agreed it was the best idea in the world and assumed that 9 months later we would be blessed with a bundle of joy. We told our family and friends - we're trying to have a baby!, I stopped drinking "just in case" I was pregnant, we did everything right...talk about naive. Month after month we discovered we were in fact NOT pregnant and saw all of our friends having 1, 2, 3 kids and we were still trying. We used to joke "you guys are going to have your 2nd before we have our 1st - ha ha ha!!!" Such jokesters we were. To make a very long story short since anyone who reads this blog knows the boring details, suffice it to say we had many procedures and tests in the 8 years of trying to conceive.

So imagine how shocked we were when, in 2006, I actually GOT and STAYED pregnant.

Now we are faced with the questions - do we tell Maggie how she came to be or just let it go since probably most of her friends as she gets older will have similar stories. Does she need to know that Mommy and Daddy weren't even in the same room when it happened? Does she need to know that she was sort of named after the Maggiano's bag that Daddy dropped off his sample in (TMI?)? Yes, we like to say it was after her Great Grandmother Margaret but secretly we know...

Considering my reason for writing this blog in the first place was so one day I could give it to Maggie as a gift that she would hopefully appreciate, I think I have made my decision to tell her where babies come from (in her case). In her version of the story the stork will be played by Dr. Cook. 'When Mommy and Daddy love each other very much' will be replaced with "Daddy went to the doctor's office very early in the morning and then had to get to work before Mommy showed up..." and the part where we talk about how surprised we were to find out we were pregnant will be described more like "Dr. Cook told us we could take a test on July 27th so of course we took one on July 25th..."

So her story is a little more technical than most but the end result is the same - in fact I believe it is a bit sweeter. Maggie is our little miracle baby. Yes, I complain about the fact that she has very little patience and gets frustrated very easily but for all we know, it was that feisty spirit of hers is how she blessed us with her presence 96 months later.

No comments: