I always hoped that if Maggie inherited anything from me it would be one of my best qualities but when someone told me the other day that Maggie looked just like me (apparently that person was hallucinating because no one else sees it), Erik's response was "well, she is the palest one in her class...". Thanks...
As Maggie gets older though I'm seeing proof of the nature vs. nurture debate everyday. I always imagined with her in daycare 5 days/week that would automatically make her a very social, outgoing child. Don't get me wrong, within her comfort zone she is both of those things but it takes her a while to acclimate to a situation and does the familiar clinging to our legs when she is uncomfortable. I imagine that I was very much like this as a child. My mother couldn't even put me in the bowling alley daycare while she bowled for a couple of hours I would scream so much. My poor mother had to set up a pack n play in the bowling alley so I could be with her. I should be thankful I can even leave her at daycare...I'm not so sure it would go over very well if I had her in a pack n play at my desk.
Point being, no matter how much influence you try to have on your child, nature always comes into play. She may look nothing like me, but the lucky girl did get my introverted qualities. But along with that she also seems to have her dad's sense of humor so not such a bad combination, right? I think it's just natural to want your child to be everything great that you never were and at the same time, everything good that you are. I guess at some point you have to let go and just let them be.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment