Monday, January 28, 2008

Worker Bee

Ever since Maggie has been mobile, she has had a very strong work ethic. We would put her in her exersaucer and it was almost like her mission to accomplish every task on it to perfection. Move the red heart, then green, then yellow, then blue...then back again... We sit her on her playmat and she has to make sure to remove the cards that slide into her Leapfrog piano no matter what else she is doing. She could be engrossed in something entirely different but if those cards are in the Leapfrog piano they MUST be removed! For our entertainment we stick the cards in just to see what she'll do. She never gets annoyed or frustrated, she just takes them out and moves on to what she was doing.

Now that she can walk with assistance, her new mission is to take whatever the toy du jour is and move it from the ottoman to the exersaucer and back, sometimes making a stop at the end table. She holds up her hand for someone to grab and walks back and forth as if there is a reason why she is doing this. I would love to know what it is because I'm sure there is one. And as if it's not hard enough to walk when you really can't balance on your own, she must always have a toy in each hand. I watched her try to figure out how she was going to grab my hands while still keeping her maraca in her hand and after dropping the maraca several times, she bent down, picked it up and found a way to grab my hand while still holding it. Did I mention she's a genius?? :)

I'm not sure what (if anything) this all means...will she be a problem solver? will she be an engineer? a doctor? an accountant? an assemblyline worker? or will she follow in the glamorous footsteps of her mom and dad and be a product marketing manager or a legal analyst? Whatever it is, I find it fascinating to watch. I just hope she aims a little higher than mom and dad!

No comments: