Thursday, January 31, 2008

Goodnight Moon

What is the fascination with this book? I read it to Maggie every night and she loves it, but personally, I don't get it. It actually scares me a little...what's with the old rabbit lady sitting in a corner of a dark room whispering "hush"?? I have nightmares about her. But I do not want to be the type of mother that injects my fears into her so I stifle my fear and keep on reading.

Erik has such a hatred for the book he refuses to read any of the words. He'll turn the pages but will make up his own story, usually in some unidentified accent. I have to admit, I leave the monitor on when he's putting her to bed so I can be entertained as well. Wonder what she must think of him? I can't wait to hear it all come out when she can actually talk.

Our new bedtime routine is this: a bath, a bottle, an episode of Wonder Pets, Goodnight Moon (mom or dad version) and a song. I truly think the episode of Wonder Pets is more for us than for her, but it is much easier to say we are watching it because she wants to. But that little chick...could he be any cuter? Erik pointed out that he can't say his "r's" and they always give him the r words ("it's see-wee-ous!") and it's so true (or if I can be truly corny, twoo)! If you haven't had the pleasure of watching this, find your Noggin channel and tune in at 7 and 7:15 any night.

Speaking of Noggin, I am now starting to worry a little about Erik. I have actually heard him utter these statements: "oh, we can't watch now, Max and Ruby's on, Max and Ruby SUCKS!", "Maggie, you can't go play yet Moose A Moose and Zee is on!", "awesome, Backyardigan's, we like that one". It may be time for an intervention.

But never have I heard him say anything about the strangest show of all, Oobi. For those of you who ever watch The Soup, you have seen clips of this odd show and wondered who watches it. Well, it's me. Because apparently it mesmerizes little kids. Erik and I watched it with Maggie one morning in silence and after it was over, never uttered a word about it. I guess it is just like the given in Geometry. Oobi is just strange and there is no further explanation needed. From the Noggin website: Oobi, a bare-hand puppet (with eyes and accessories) focuses on the stage in a young child’s life when everything in his or her world is new and incredible. Need I say more? He is a bare-handed puppet with eyes and accessories.

Leave it to us to incorporate TV into our young child's development. I know some parents might read this and judge me for it...but we figure she might as well get used to being a Crawford early. We are slaves to the TV at whatever age.

No comments: